
computer system info utility image
paul l
I bought a new compaq computer that reviews say is OK for a cheap computer. But it said that one of it's negitives is that it has got to much bloatware.
Answer
By "Bloatware" I take it you are referring to the productivity and trail software the manufacturer added on to it? You also have to realize, Bloatware is a term used today for regular programs that have been made with the extra HDD space and massive RAM PC's are being made with or can be upgraded to accommodate. These aren't junk programs but made without size constraints.
To get rid of any program on your PC/Laptop you can utilize the Add/Remove Program feature under Control Panel (START - Control Panel - Add/Remove Program). Simply find the program you want removed and uninstall it.
That's always the first step. After you are done make sure you have a registry cleaner (CCleaner is a really good one, yes there are two C's. It is a free download/usable from CNet). This will get rid of the left over bits that can play havoc with your system over time. Also, do a "Search" for any word/phase or manufacturer information on your system. If it is found, delete it and then empty the garbage bin.
That was actually the easy way. Now for something a bit more time consuming:
If you have your OS reinstall disc, keep it handy. You're going to want to copy over all files, pix, vids, and docs you wish to keep and put them on a removable/external HDD. Now, with the OS disc, reinstall the OS, however this time you will not upload any of the extra's from (usually) a separate CD. If the upload asks you to do a full install automatically (they always say that's the easiest or "recommended")and also gives you the choice to do a manual install (where you pick and choose which extra programs to upload) choose the manual upload. Once you are done with loading only the OS and whatever extra utilities you wanted, you'll have a blank slate to put all the programs you saved on the removable HDD back on your system.
With the second option you'll have the peace of mind that your system will run faster (depending what's going at start-up) and have more HDD space.
I do hope this was helpful info for you.
Good luck
By "Bloatware" I take it you are referring to the productivity and trail software the manufacturer added on to it? You also have to realize, Bloatware is a term used today for regular programs that have been made with the extra HDD space and massive RAM PC's are being made with or can be upgraded to accommodate. These aren't junk programs but made without size constraints.
To get rid of any program on your PC/Laptop you can utilize the Add/Remove Program feature under Control Panel (START - Control Panel - Add/Remove Program). Simply find the program you want removed and uninstall it.
That's always the first step. After you are done make sure you have a registry cleaner (CCleaner is a really good one, yes there are two C's. It is a free download/usable from CNet). This will get rid of the left over bits that can play havoc with your system over time. Also, do a "Search" for any word/phase or manufacturer information on your system. If it is found, delete it and then empty the garbage bin.
That was actually the easy way. Now for something a bit more time consuming:
If you have your OS reinstall disc, keep it handy. You're going to want to copy over all files, pix, vids, and docs you wish to keep and put them on a removable/external HDD. Now, with the OS disc, reinstall the OS, however this time you will not upload any of the extra's from (usually) a separate CD. If the upload asks you to do a full install automatically (they always say that's the easiest or "recommended")and also gives you the choice to do a manual install (where you pick and choose which extra programs to upload) choose the manual upload. Once you are done with loading only the OS and whatever extra utilities you wanted, you'll have a blank slate to put all the programs you saved on the removable HDD back on your system.
With the second option you'll have the peace of mind that your system will run faster (depending what's going at start-up) and have more HDD space.
I do hope this was helpful info for you.
Good luck
Photographers: How do you organize your photos on your computer?
gotchu_cor
What kind of filing system do you use to organize them?
Answer
I use ACDSee Pro 7, but this method can be used with any photo organizer program with appropriate modifications. I have 2 separate areas that I have labeled "Intake & Processing" and "Done". Both areas are organized exactly the same.
There is a folder for each year, and within that year folder is a sub folder for the day the photos were taken. In "Intake & Processing" I import my raw photos and my work in progress. So there are often multiple copies of Photos, the raw and the intermediate tif files. There COULD be more if I need to have them.
In the "Done" folder there is the same year/day sub folder system based on day taken. When I have a photo that I consider done and ready to show, I copy the tif file to the proper done/year/day shot folder. It is from here that I print the photos or prepare them for publication to the web or where ever. This folder structure will have the 'done' tif file and possibly a distribution jpg version as well.
I store keywords, notes, categories and ratings in the ACDSee Pro database in the "Intake & Processing" folder structure and I copy as much of that info into the tif or jpg file structure that will fit into that file format for the "Done" folder structure.
For backups, I back up the raw input files, the done photos, and the ACDSee database to an external HD. I use the ACDSee back-up utility.
I use ACDSee Pro 7, but this method can be used with any photo organizer program with appropriate modifications. I have 2 separate areas that I have labeled "Intake & Processing" and "Done". Both areas are organized exactly the same.
There is a folder for each year, and within that year folder is a sub folder for the day the photos were taken. In "Intake & Processing" I import my raw photos and my work in progress. So there are often multiple copies of Photos, the raw and the intermediate tif files. There COULD be more if I need to have them.
In the "Done" folder there is the same year/day sub folder system based on day taken. When I have a photo that I consider done and ready to show, I copy the tif file to the proper done/year/day shot folder. It is from here that I print the photos or prepare them for publication to the web or where ever. This folder structure will have the 'done' tif file and possibly a distribution jpg version as well.
I store keywords, notes, categories and ratings in the ACDSee Pro database in the "Intake & Processing" folder structure and I copy as much of that info into the tif or jpg file structure that will fit into that file format for the "Done" folder structure.
For backups, I back up the raw input files, the done photos, and the ACDSee database to an external HD. I use the ACDSee back-up utility.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers



Comments :
Post a Comment