Q. I have a little bit of a problem that I need help with you see I want to connect one computer up at my office and be able to access it when I'm at home.
Now I know that Sounds easy in this day and age but heres the catch I have to do it through Linux or BSD or Unix................Can anyone Help me out???
Now I know that Sounds easy in this day and age but heres the catch I have to do it through Linux or BSD or Unix................Can anyone Help me out???
Answer
You are looking for an SSH tunnel or a VPN.
SSH tunnels are easiest to implement if no ports are blocked by the office firewall.
At the office, some machine (usually a unix-type) is running the OpenSSH Server.
At home, you set up your ssh client (if you are using windows, Putty is the most common) to create the SSH Tunnel.
I'd google ssh tunnel putty for more info.
If SSH is blocked at the office firewall, ask for a port to be forwarded from the public-facing router/firewall to the ssh server.
The other route would be a VPN tunnel, which requires basically the same stuff but a dedicated server and client software duo like OpenVPN or one of the proprietary ones. This usually requires the office IT people to set up but not always. The office firewall/router often has the ability built in, and has to be enabled and configured.
You are looking for an SSH tunnel or a VPN.
SSH tunnels are easiest to implement if no ports are blocked by the office firewall.
At the office, some machine (usually a unix-type) is running the OpenSSH Server.
At home, you set up your ssh client (if you are using windows, Putty is the most common) to create the SSH Tunnel.
I'd google ssh tunnel putty for more info.
If SSH is blocked at the office firewall, ask for a port to be forwarded from the public-facing router/firewall to the ssh server.
The other route would be a VPN tunnel, which requires basically the same stuff but a dedicated server and client software duo like OpenVPN or one of the proprietary ones. This usually requires the office IT people to set up but not always. The office firewall/router often has the ability built in, and has to be enabled and configured.
Questions about your computer network (1)?
run360
What type of network do you use?
What is the size of your network?
The number of people you share information and/or work collaboratively with
What types of information do you share and/or what collaborative work do you do?
the longer the better thx
Answer
Use - Windows Server 2003 network, IBM mainframe, Novell NetWare Servers, Sun Soloris Unix Servers, connected to offsites by OC-3s, T-1s, and Sonet over ATM.
Size - MAN (Metropolitan Area Network)
Number of ppl - over 5,000
Information share - patient records, credit and collection, Internet, patient scheduling, lab systems with connected interfaces to lab instruments, and so much more... I have a huge datacenter, and it facilitates over 150 offsite facilities.
if you need more info email me.
Use - Windows Server 2003 network, IBM mainframe, Novell NetWare Servers, Sun Soloris Unix Servers, connected to offsites by OC-3s, T-1s, and Sonet over ATM.
Size - MAN (Metropolitan Area Network)
Number of ppl - over 5,000
Information share - patient records, credit and collection, Internet, patient scheduling, lab systems with connected interfaces to lab instruments, and so much more... I have a huge datacenter, and it facilitates over 150 offsite facilities.
if you need more info email me.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers



Comments :
Post a Comment