Network operating systems still in-use? Can anyone list them and share info or links on specs?

computer info linux terminal on ... computer IP and router IP handy. Find your computer IP and router IP
computer info linux terminal image




Doug


I need a highly experienced networking guru to help me find references on ALL network operating systems still in-use, not just the common ones everyone in IT knows about. If possible please share links or references. If all my options for a NOS were on the table, what would they be? Thanks in advance for sharing!


Answer
There are too many to list, but most are very limited.

Some people would include Unix and Linux, but these can also be used with a single computer and terminals, so they are networks in only the broadest sense of the term. These are sometimes called Application/Server networks. Concurrent DOS is too old for most applications.

For LANs, WANs and P2P:
Novel (especially 4.0 and above)
Microsoft Windows in various versions, peer to peer and client server.
IBM OS2 Warp
Mac - OS X can link peer to peer.

There are many minor OS's. but few fail to offer much in the way of long term support. Many of these come and go in a year or two.

The order for choice of OS is FIRST know what applications you need to run. THEN, determine what OS's will run the applications. Finally, pick the best network that will allow the OS to run.

Linux - how do I store configurations and programs?

Q. I would like to know how can I store all the configuration in Linux.

And most importantly, is there a way I can "keep a track" of programs I have installed, so - lets tell - when I install Linux on another computer, I'll be able to know what programs to install and eventually an app that would do it for me? (I tried to copy all the folders in home directory, but it didn't solve the problem of long work of installing all the SW again...)


Thanks.


Answer
Not all installed software is in your /home directory. Mostly /home has configuration files and personal files.
What you want to do depends on which linux distro you are using. In the debian branch, which includes ubuntu, mint, and a few others, there are some terminal commands that will give you a list of all user installed software and will let you install all the same packages if you use the debian branch for the reinstall. See the first link.
The second link is a gui way to do the same thing in ubuntu but I am not sure if it is still installed in the more recent releases for ubuntu.
For a non-debian type system you can also do it but I don't have that info at hand. Google for reload all installed packages +name of distro (e.g. fedora).
You will also have to copy your /home directory to a new install to get the customizations and personalizations.
Good luck




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Comments :

0 komentar to “Network operating systems still in-use? Can anyone list them and share info or links on specs?”
 

Sexy Lace Bikini

Leave little to the imagination in this super sexy booty short bikini transparent lace. Adjustable triangle top with peek-a-boo slits ties at neck and back. Matching ruffled booty shorts leave so little to the imagination! 90% Nylon 10% Spandex. Four way stretch means one size fits most. Unlined. Club Wear by Body Zone Read More

LG Scarlet

This event, which was attended by more than 200 media from Middle East and Africa, followed earlier events in Los Angeles and in London that drew celebrities for a mock premiere event to reveal the secret of “Scarlet, The Hit New TV Series,” which had been promoted through broadcast and online trailers.