I wanna update my 16 gig iPhone 3G to 3.1.2 from 3.0 and my iPhone is jailbroken. I looked at the new jailbreaking tool, black ra1n, and noticed many warnings about it being tethered. I do not understand exactly what tethered means. I think it is when your iphone runs out of battery you have to restart it from the computer. I really don't want this and if this is the case any solutions would be very appreciated. Thanks for the help
Answer
Basically your right. Apple, for obvious reasons, don't want people jail-breaking their products, especially the iPhone. So they have changed a file called 'mobile-substrate' which includes a code allowing your device to connect and not become 'bricked' - inoperable. Whenever power is lost and the device turned back on this file is reset (it is this file that is altered in the jailbreak process) meaning that on a reboot it will effectively become useless until you plug it back into the computer you jailbroke with (must be same computer otherwise data will be lost) and redo the jail-break.
It is a big hassle but currently I believe it is the only way to jailbreak 3.1.2 however this may have changed. Check out http://modmyi.com/ for more info on this. I have an ipod touch which can be updated to 3.1.2 and jailbroken in a different way as they effectively can't really be bricked. However I downgraded back to 3.0 as I was experience battery life issues and it seemed slightly unstable.
In my honest opinion once you've jailbroken it is really hard to upgrade and keep all your original files and it is just a bit of a nuisance - I understand that people like to keep up to date, especially when some apps ask for a certain Software version.
Hope this has cleared things up and you sort your problem.
Kit
Basically your right. Apple, for obvious reasons, don't want people jail-breaking their products, especially the iPhone. So they have changed a file called 'mobile-substrate' which includes a code allowing your device to connect and not become 'bricked' - inoperable. Whenever power is lost and the device turned back on this file is reset (it is this file that is altered in the jailbreak process) meaning that on a reboot it will effectively become useless until you plug it back into the computer you jailbroke with (must be same computer otherwise data will be lost) and redo the jail-break.
It is a big hassle but currently I believe it is the only way to jailbreak 3.1.2 however this may have changed. Check out http://modmyi.com/ for more info on this. I have an ipod touch which can be updated to 3.1.2 and jailbroken in a different way as they effectively can't really be bricked. However I downgraded back to 3.0 as I was experience battery life issues and it seemed slightly unstable.
In my honest opinion once you've jailbroken it is really hard to upgrade and keep all your original files and it is just a bit of a nuisance - I understand that people like to keep up to date, especially when some apps ask for a certain Software version.
Hope this has cleared things up and you sort your problem.
Kit
How do i get rid of a virus on my computer called downloader?
oxo_cutiec
Norton detected it but could not fix the problem.
I followed the extra instructions it gave me to fix it in safe mode but it didn't work.
What should I do?
Answer
Antiviral. (free)
AVG free. Excellent protection available from: http://www.Grisoft.com
Don't use two antiviral products together as they may be incompatible. If your Antiviral trial has run out, then remove product from your computer and get the AVG installed.
Anti-spyware (all free)
Essential products are: Adaware SE from: http://www.lavasoft.com
Spybot SD http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html
Spywareblaster http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
Windows Defender - from Microsoft downloads.
Spycatcher
http://www.tenebril.com/consumer/spyware/spycatcher-express.php
PC starter kit at download.com 20 of the best recommended programes for people new or less advanced in computers. Check all three pages, at bottom see Security/Tools/Fun
http://www.download.com/PC-Starter-Kit/2001-12350_4-0.html?tag=dir
C Cleaner.http://www.ccleaner.com/
This will tell you a lot about what is on your computer, such as running programmes,cookies, History, settings etc. and will help you clean up and remove unwanted items. Be careful how you use it as it is a very powerful programme and you should read the help index before you do anything with it.
Hope this information is of help to you and others.
Whats on my PC.
This software once downloaded will Identify a lot of information about the components and Manufacturer's of things on your computer.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/
System info SIS BY GABRIEL TOPPA
Antiviral. (free)
AVG free. Excellent protection available from: http://www.Grisoft.com
Don't use two antiviral products together as they may be incompatible. If your Antiviral trial has run out, then remove product from your computer and get the AVG installed.
Anti-spyware (all free)
Essential products are: Adaware SE from: http://www.lavasoft.com
Spybot SD http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html
Spywareblaster http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
Windows Defender - from Microsoft downloads.
Spycatcher
http://www.tenebril.com/consumer/spyware/spycatcher-express.php
PC starter kit at download.com 20 of the best recommended programes for people new or less advanced in computers. Check all three pages, at bottom see Security/Tools/Fun
http://www.download.com/PC-Starter-Kit/2001-12350_4-0.html?tag=dir
C Cleaner.http://www.ccleaner.com/
This will tell you a lot about what is on your computer, such as running programmes,cookies, History, settings etc. and will help you clean up and remove unwanted items. Be careful how you use it as it is a very powerful programme and you should read the help index before you do anything with it.
Hope this information is of help to you and others.
Whats on my PC.
This software once downloaded will Identify a lot of information about the components and Manufacturer's of things on your computer.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/
System info SIS BY GABRIEL TOPPA
Powered by Yahoo! Answers



Comments :
Post a Comment