computer virus info for kids image
Robert D
Hello Friends
I have 2 teen agers using my computer in my absense and like many other kids, spend time on face book for hours. Want to make sure that they are doing the right things and so want to install a software that records face book and other chats. Is there any such software for a reasonable price?
Appreciate your help.
Thanks
Bob
I looked at some freewares, but am little concerned that it may have security issues by knowing the passwords etc.
Answer
Hi. Good question.
The kind of software you are looking for are called Key Loggers, and are generally considered as viruses by most of the anti-virus solutions as because viruses also do the same process of acquiring key strokes, screen shots, URLs visited and other usage information of the target system in order to gain CREDIT CARD info, personal info and what ever of the virus makers interest and send it remotely to the virus creator.
I have tried a lot of Key Loggers and found out REFOG Keylogger is the best of all. Depending on your requirements you can either go for a free version or purchase an enterprise version.
Thank you and good luck in your endeavor.
Hi. Good question.
The kind of software you are looking for are called Key Loggers, and are generally considered as viruses by most of the anti-virus solutions as because viruses also do the same process of acquiring key strokes, screen shots, URLs visited and other usage information of the target system in order to gain CREDIT CARD info, personal info and what ever of the virus makers interest and send it remotely to the virus creator.
I have tried a lot of Key Loggers and found out REFOG Keylogger is the best of all. Depending on your requirements you can either go for a free version or purchase an enterprise version.
Thank you and good luck in your endeavor.
How do I get rid of the "good game, I've played for a moment for free" hotmail Virus?
Jill Girl
It hijacked my hotmail account and sent itself to everyone on my contact list on the date of 12/9/07. It was just sent today while I was logged off and the computer was completely shut off. The emails were saved to my Sent folder. There is also a link which gives everyone the virus when they click on it. No idea where it came from or how I got it. Anyone know what to do?
Answer
Ok, I've been hit with this too on my old Hotmail acct. I'm not a security specialist but I've been in IT for a number of years. So here's my guesstimate to what's happening, along with a potential temporary fix.
It appears this was spread awhile back by gaming websites and/or USB memory sticks. Its been infecting PCs and sitting in wait, globally, and appears to have had a scheduled trigger date to coincide with millions of kids getting out of school - and sending emails to each other in droves ... so what's a few more.
It appears to have captured your hotmail acct userid and password and passed that on to an external server somewhere. THAT'S why turning off your PC ... AND... disconnecting it from the Internet (BOTH steps) STILL doesn't work. Because while your PC is still infected, the emails are potentially being created from somewhere else. Since tracking a polluted server is fairly easy for the security gurus, it is more likely that each PC infected is accessing and then broadcasting someone ELSE'S emails using the copied info from YOUR hotmail account and password.
So far NONE of the anti-virus checkers I've tried works! Norton Small Business Full, AVG 7.5 Free, Sophos 7.3.2 Full, A-Squared Free, and several others.
AGAIN, THIS IS ONLY A GUESS ON MY PART, but it fits all the symptoms I am experiencing, what others are seeing, and what I have tested to get rid of this bugger myself!
This is a relatively simple virus - its an ambusher - hit and run tactics only. Capture needed info and run, copy that info to somewhere else. I also would bet that it hides in USB memory drives and does nothing while on them except copy itself quietly to any and all PCs it touches ... like fleas in a dog's coat.
So now that you've heard my theory .. we'll all see if this plays out. I will update if I learn more, and I hope others do as well.
As for the temporary fix I am testing, CHANGE YOUR HOTMAIL PASSWORD .... AND ONLY FROM A GUARANTEED UNINFECTED PC. And then don't do ANYTHING to your account - don't access it, don't send anything, don't try to read it from another PC, for at least 3-5 hours. [Because that would require you to enter your new password somewhere else, and that might mean that your new password gets infected too]
Since this virus seems to attempt new email blasts of 10-20 emails at a time about every 2-3 hours, we'll know by tonight if this works. If this does work, then IMMEDIATELY at that point from the same guaranteed uninfected PC, go and change your passwords on ALL your other online accounts of any kind. If this thing is smart enough to capture and send out your email account and password for one account, then why couldn't it do the same thing for any other account you may have accessed in the past, say 6 months, from that infected PC?!!!
Finally, I recommend NOT using any PC that you know is infected! Since even the experts don't know what's going on with this one yet, and because there is no "fix" to eliminate the infection yet, then you have to avoid the carrier ... your PC!!! Find another PC. Trust me!
TMC
Ok, I've been hit with this too on my old Hotmail acct. I'm not a security specialist but I've been in IT for a number of years. So here's my guesstimate to what's happening, along with a potential temporary fix.
It appears this was spread awhile back by gaming websites and/or USB memory sticks. Its been infecting PCs and sitting in wait, globally, and appears to have had a scheduled trigger date to coincide with millions of kids getting out of school - and sending emails to each other in droves ... so what's a few more.
It appears to have captured your hotmail acct userid and password and passed that on to an external server somewhere. THAT'S why turning off your PC ... AND... disconnecting it from the Internet (BOTH steps) STILL doesn't work. Because while your PC is still infected, the emails are potentially being created from somewhere else. Since tracking a polluted server is fairly easy for the security gurus, it is more likely that each PC infected is accessing and then broadcasting someone ELSE'S emails using the copied info from YOUR hotmail account and password.
So far NONE of the anti-virus checkers I've tried works! Norton Small Business Full, AVG 7.5 Free, Sophos 7.3.2 Full, A-Squared Free, and several others.
AGAIN, THIS IS ONLY A GUESS ON MY PART, but it fits all the symptoms I am experiencing, what others are seeing, and what I have tested to get rid of this bugger myself!
This is a relatively simple virus - its an ambusher - hit and run tactics only. Capture needed info and run, copy that info to somewhere else. I also would bet that it hides in USB memory drives and does nothing while on them except copy itself quietly to any and all PCs it touches ... like fleas in a dog's coat.
So now that you've heard my theory .. we'll all see if this plays out. I will update if I learn more, and I hope others do as well.
As for the temporary fix I am testing, CHANGE YOUR HOTMAIL PASSWORD .... AND ONLY FROM A GUARANTEED UNINFECTED PC. And then don't do ANYTHING to your account - don't access it, don't send anything, don't try to read it from another PC, for at least 3-5 hours. [Because that would require you to enter your new password somewhere else, and that might mean that your new password gets infected too]
Since this virus seems to attempt new email blasts of 10-20 emails at a time about every 2-3 hours, we'll know by tonight if this works. If this does work, then IMMEDIATELY at that point from the same guaranteed uninfected PC, go and change your passwords on ALL your other online accounts of any kind. If this thing is smart enough to capture and send out your email account and password for one account, then why couldn't it do the same thing for any other account you may have accessed in the past, say 6 months, from that infected PC?!!!
Finally, I recommend NOT using any PC that you know is infected! Since even the experts don't know what's going on with this one yet, and because there is no "fix" to eliminate the infection yet, then you have to avoid the carrier ... your PC!!! Find another PC. Trust me!
TMC
Powered by Yahoo! Answers



Comments :
Post a Comment